Updated Builder for WordPress 3.2 (Coming soon)
May 16, 2011
WordPress 3.2 is just around the corner and will be released soon. Beta version is already available, so we stepped up the development to make sure we’re ready for it. I have to say this release is really FAST and you’ll definitely notice the difference, when editing your site inside new administration panel.
How will our template Builder look like inside WP 3.2?
Top WordPress 3.2 features
- Refreshed administrative UI – …
- New default theme “Twenty Eleven” – takes full advantage of the latest features of WordPress.
- Full Screen Editor – experience called Distraction Free Writing.
- Admin Bar – added useful links.
- Requirements Changes:
- Enhanced Browser Compatibility:
- Drop Internet Explorer 6 support.
- Start End-of-life (EOL) cycle for Internet Explorer 7.
- Browse Happy notify users of out-of-date browser.
- WordPress is faster:
- Faster page loads — We’ve gone through the most commonly loaded pages in WP and done improvements to their load time, for example the write page now loads XYZ% faster and paging through comments is ZYX% faster.
- Faster Upgrades — The update system now support incremental upgrades so after 3.2 you’ll find upgrading faster than ever” e.g. FTP upgrade improvements.
- Trimmed xx codes lines in core.
- Optimizations to WP_Filesystem – pass known information to called functions.
- Streamline WP_Http_*::test() methods: Check basic SSL requirements, only allow filters to disable transports, not enable them after ::test() has failed.
- Take out unnecessary compat functions from compat.php.
- Constructor cleanup.
- Use stripos() instead of strpos( strtolower() ).
- Performance improvements for wptexturize().
- Remove PHP4 timezone support.
- More efficient term intersection query.
- kses optimization.
- Speed optimizations for is_serialized_string().
- Admin Bar: Add a Themes submenu under Appearance, for consistency
- Support Edit link on the Admin Bar for Attachments
- Switch from “Panel/SubPanel” to “Screen” in inline documentation and Codex links
- Add collapse link to admin menu
- Favorites menu no longer exists
- New Freedoms (rights) and Credits links at bottom of admin screens.
- Change View All Buttons into plain links
- Show full set of status links in recent comments box
- Drop “Change Theme” button
- Change Menu Name from ‘Posts’ to ‘All Posts’
- Show the sticky posts check box (“Stick this post to the front page”) Only when author has ‘edit_others_posts‘capability
- Updated styles for the Visual editor buttons
- Full screen editor experience called Distraction Free Writing – accessed via the Toggle full-screen mode tool in the Visual editor and full-screen button in the HTML editor (Trac Ticket 17198)
- Change Menu Name from ‘Links’ to ‘All Links’
- Change Menu Name from ‘Pages’ to ‘All Pages’
- New Default theme – TwentyEleven – based on Duster Theme (Trac Ticket 17198).
- Allow selecting previously uploader headers and randomly serving previously uploaded or default headers
- Denote images that are headers or backgrounds in the media ui
- Show hierarchy for pages and taxonomies in nav menus admin
- Introduce new is_multi_author() template tag to make it easier for themes to have different behaviour when a site has more than one author
- Allow plugins to disable screen options with filter
- Change Menu Name from ‘Tools’ to ‘All Tools’
- Press This bookmarklet redesign
- Export commentmeta
- Change Menu Name from ‘Users’ to ‘All Users’
- Show access denied page and list a user’s sites if they visit an admin they don’t have permissions for rather than redirecting to the users’ primary blog
- Make “Space Used” gray instead of green in multisite Right Now box
- Allow Pagination for Must-Use/Dropin plugins; respect WP_CONTENT_DIR & WPMU_PLUGIN_DIR for help text; move help text into WP_Plugins_List_Table
Development, Themes, Plugins
- Add an extra FTP_LANG_DIR override constant to short-circuit WP_Filesystem_Base::find_folder(WP_LANG_DIR)
- Add quotes to [value="some"] selectors re: jQuery
- Allow custom author elements such as email
- Allow get_pages() to support multiple post statuses
- Allow plugins to control user and network admin canonical redirect
- Allow plugins to hook into
- Allow querying empty meta values
- Allow retrieving comments by post type, status, author, author, name, or parent. Fetch only published posts for recent comments widget.
- Allow taxonomies to be queried by $_GET parameters on non-taxonomy url’s
- Allow WP_Query ‘post_status’ parameter to accept an array, as well as a singular value and comma separated list
- Centralize pagination bound exceeding redirects for list tables
- Change esc_url_raw references to esc_url
- Default WP_LANG_DIR to `WP_CONTENT_DIR/languages` when `wp-includes/languages/` doesn’t exist
- Deprecate wp_clone() but left the function in
- Don’t load themes functions.php for upgrades
- Don’t refresh the admin menu after page load, apply the user-state from PHP, fix behaviour after folding the menu
- Don’t show broken ‘View’ links when a custom post type is not publicly queryable
- Ensure all theme searching is done case-insensitive
- Hide update bubble counts for users who can’t perform the update
- Introduce get_screen_icon()
- Introduce is_multi_author() to check if more than one author has published posts for this site
- Introduce Stream-To-File for the WP_HTTP API – reduces memory consumption during file downloads; implemented indownload_url() for upgraders
- Introduce wp_http_supports() as replacement for the http_transport_(get|post)_debug hooks
- Introduce WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’ constant for the high memory limit set when image processing and unzipping; ensure it is always filterable by plugins as well as configurable in wp-config.php
- Introduce WP_Meta_Query and relation support
- Pass image URL’s to thickbox via L10n in script-loader.php; allows thickbox to be used on any page in the install without defining the image URL variables
- Properly handle https in ixr client
- Provide more arguments to the widgets on the 404 page so as to avoid notices
- Remove support for the PHP HTTP Extension from WP_HTTP. The PHP HTTP Extension is a wrapper around libcurl andfopen() providing limited configuration and is supported on a minority of servers due to its non-default inclusion
- Set is_* flags for AND taxonomy queries
- Set the mb_string internal encoding to ISO-8859-1 whilst uncompressing archives using PclZip; fixes ‘PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Invalid block size’ errors on systems utilising mbstring.func_overload
- Stop themes and plugins from overriding the admin bar CSS
- Update jQuery to 1.6.1
- Update jQuery UI to 1.8.2
- Update json2.js
- Update phpass
- Update phpmailer and smtp to 5.1
- Update pop3 class
- Update TinyMCE to 3.4.2 (Trac Ticket 17086)
- Updated PHPdocs for XML-RPC functions, wp_templating_constants(), wp_check_browser_version()
- Use the post type object in get_posts_by_author_sql() and add a post type parameter to count_many_users_posts(); pub_priv_sql_capability filter is considered deprecated
- Validate post status against capabilities in Press This
- Verify certificate matches both the common name and the provided hostname; WP_HTTP_Curl requires CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST be either 2 or false
- When upgrading plugins/themes, if the new destination folder is different from the previous folder, delete the old folder upon upgrade
- XML-RPC add support to wp.getPostFormats to provide a list of the currently supported post formats in addition to the complete list
- XML-RPC allow Pages to have a status of pending
- XML-RPC include the post status in the response for mt.getRecentPostTitles calls
- XML-RPC introduce a special wp_die handler for XMLRPC requests to ensure we send an XML response